Fitness to Practise
Obtaining DBS clearance
As a student, you may need DBS clearance for a project or a placement that involves you working unsupervised with children or vulnerable adults.
In order to obtain DBS clearance, you will be required to:
- Fill in a DBS form using the guidance provided (forms can be obtained from the World of Work and Skills Support Unit in room 144 James Parsons, Byrom Street, opposite the Tower Cafe)
- If you are required to pay for the DBS check (payment details below), pay the fee of £44 for enhanced disclosure via our on-line shop at https://buyonline.ljmu.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=124. This should take you to the Faculty Shop section and you should select your home school. Make sure you print out a receipt. If you are unable to use our on-line shop for any reason then please contact Student Finance at the Student Zone on 0151 231 5809.
Please note: we cannot countersign a DBS check for activities outside of your programme.
- Please note that Undergraduate Sports Science students are not required to pay for the DBS check.
- Postgraduate MSc Sports Science students are required to pay for the DBS check.
- Pharmacy students starting in September 2012 are not required to pay for the DBS check.
- Students from the School of Natural Sciences and Psychology should check with the World of Work and Skills Support Unit regarding payments as applications are reviewed on a case by case basis.
DBS Checking Process
- Bring the proof of your identity (not copies) and payment receipt (if applicable) to your School Administrative Officer/World of Work and Skills Support Unit (see contact details below) and have your form countersigned.
- We will then send your form off to DBS. The Faculty will receive a copy of the DBS certificate in due course and you will also receive your own copy sent to the current address you provided.
- Please note that in line with the Data Protection Act and other relevant legislation, the University will not keep disclosure information, or any associated correspondence, for longer than is necessary. In general this will be up to a period of 6 months and then it will be destroyed. It is recommended that students keep safe their own individual copy of their DBS enhanced disclosure report.
In particular you will need to read the section regarding which documents you will be required to bring to verify your application.
You must provide your national insurance number, valid UK driving license number (including provisional) and valid passport number on the forms if you have them (although these don't have to be the documents you use to verify your identity).
If you are unsure about anything, please get in touch.
Due to further changes that may occur and differences in programmes across the Faculty, these guidelines may be subject to change. Please contact your School Administrative Officer or World of Work and Skills Support Unit (contact details below) for an update before you apply.
If trying to access a staff member from outside the University all extension numbers should be preceded by 0151 231 e.g. 0151 231 2369.
|School/Unit||Named Contact||Phone||Email (@ljmu.ac.uk)||Room No.|
|World of Work and Skills Support Unit||Jamie Fearn||2349||j.fearn||144|
|World of Work and Skills Support Unit||Katie Lawrence||2079||k.l.lawrence||144|
|World of Work and Skills Support Unit||Keighley Burrows||2498||k.j.burrows||144|
|School of Natural Science and Psychology/School of Sport and Exercise Science||Ed Wells||2369||e.wells||146|
|School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences||Mark Prosser||2233||m.a.prosser||904|