Professor David Billington
Professor of Medical Biochemistry
Telephone: 0151 231 2077
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
1. The use of iodixanol, a novel iodinated density gradient compound
(OptiprepTM), in the centrifugal separation of biological particles, particularly human and animal plasma lipoproteins. Antioxidant content of human LDL. LDL subtyping by density gradient centrifugation.
2. Serodiagnostic assays for human toxocariasis.
52 full papers in referred journals, 47 published abstracts, 1 book as first-named author and 10 further books as editor. Supervised to completion 17 PhD, 2 MD and 5 MPhil students.
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. Chair of: (i) Faculty Research Strategy Group, (ii) School Employers
Liaison Group, and (iii) Management Committee for Life Science Support Unit.
2. Member of: (i) School Management Committee, and, (ii) Faculty Research
3. Previous member (1985-2003) and chair (1994-2000) of LJMU Ethics
4. Current external examiner for BSc Biomedical Science at the
Universities of Durham and Cork (previously at University of Bradford [2003-2007], University of West of England, Bristol [2000-04] and Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen [1998-2002]).
5. Elected member of the national executive of the Heads of University
Centres for Biomedical Science (current Chair, 2005-2008). Organised 2004 annual conference in Liverpool.
6. Chair of 2007 QAA Benchmark group for Biomedical Science.
7. Member of subpanel 12 (Allied Health Professions) for RAE2008.
To visit an external profile click here