Large scale temporary storage for students
Students undertaking video editing require large amounts (typically 3gb-5gb) of temporary storage for a short period (typically 6-8 weeks) to undertake this exercise. Lecturers can enable the automatic provision of large scale temporary storage for all students on a designated module offering by following the instructions below.
A separate temporary storage area is allocated to each student on the designated module and is only accessible by that student. By default neither their lecturer nor other students on the module are able to access a student’s temporary storage.
- The lecturer making the request must be registered as a tutor for that unit-offering in Blackboard
- A secure storage area will be automatically generated for each student enrolled on the unit offering and an appropriate email notification will be sent to each student
- Students will access their temporary disk space by mapping it as an additional drive
- Each storage area can only be accessed by the student to whom it has been assigned
- The storage areas are backed up on a nightly basis
- The temporary storage areas are automatically deleted on the completion date of the unit offering
- Prior to deletion of the storage area, each student will recieve a countdown warning
- On the termination date the storage area will be deleted and its content will not be recoverable
The Tutors Role: Setting up the storage space
Stage 1: Selecting the Course
- Click here to start the setup request - a web page will be displayed showing what courses you are listed within Blackboard as a tutor.
- Select the course for which you want to create the storage area then click Create Course Storage Area
Stage 2: Confirm details
1. The web page will now show information about the course selected in Stage 1, in particular,
- Course Code
- Details of when the storage space will be available until
The option to send an email to all students enrolled on that module-offering – We recommend this option is checked
2. Read this information carefully then click on Confirm to proceed, this will then:
- Create the storage space
- Send an email containing a link to the storage area, details of when the storage space will be available until, and the name of the shortcut that has been placed on your M Drive
- If selected, an email will be sent to the students enrolled.
The Students Role: Claiming space
Assuming the lecturer chose the send email option, all students enrolled on the module-offereing will receive an email informing them of this. To claim a personal storage area within this space:
- Open a browser window and go to http://storage.ljmu.ac.uk/
- Any storage areas to which you have access as a student will be displayed in the Student Course Enrolments list, to "claim" this space, select the course, and then click Create Student Storage Area
- You will now be asked to confirm the details submitted. To create the area, click Confirm. An email will be sent containing the location of the storage area, and a link placed on your M Drive. The name of the link is included within the email received.
PLEASE NOTE: This storage space will NOT be available after the date specified. You will be advised closer to the time that the space will be removed, and advised to back up any important work. We will NOT be able to retrieve any files from the space after it is removed.
I’m not sure whether I’ve set the space up already – how can I tell?
Go to the Storage Server Request Start Page and select the course as usual. Upon confirmation, if you’ve already set the space up, you will be advised and given the option to recreate the link on your M Drive, and / or regenerate the original email that was sent.
I’ve deleted the email I received.
To receive another copy of the email, simply visit the Storage Server Request Start Page. Scroll to the bottom of the page, then click on Already created a storage area but can’t find the link to it? Click here. Select the course required, then click on Resend Email Confirmation
I’ve deleted the link on my M Drive.
To receive another copy of the email, simply visit the Storage Server Request Start Page. Scroll to the bottom of the page, then click on Already created a storage area but can’t find the link to it? Click here. Select the course required, then click on Create M:\ Drive link
If you are still having problems, please contact the IT Services Helpdesk.