Wireless and docking points setup guide
Step 1: Configure Windows Vista / XP
- Click on Start, Control Panel
- In the Pick a Category section, Select Network and Internet Connections
- Click on Network Connections, then select either
- Local Area Connection for cable connection or
- Wireless Connection for WiFi Access
- Right click on either Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection and select Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties
- In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties box, ensure Obtain an IP address automatically is selected and click OK.
Step 2: Configure your Web Browser.
To access the internet, you need to ensure that your browser is NOT using a proxy server.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools, Internet Options on the menu bar
- Click on Connections, LAN Settings
- Ensure Use proxy server is NOT selected
Step 3: Accessing what is available.
In order to access the internet, you first have to login to the LJMU Network.
- Enter the URL of the web page you want to access (for example, http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/)
- Before the requested page is opened, you will be asked to enter your username and password via the Login to the LJMU Network page, shown right.
- Enter your LJMU username and password and click on Log In. You will now be taken to the web page requested, and any subsequent pages you require.
- When you disconnect from the network, you will automatically be logged out.
You may be prompted to download a "certificate" You must accept this certificate to use the system.