Dr Colm Bowe
||Job Title||Lecturer in Plant and Environmental Science|
|Telephone||+44 (0)151 231 2027|
|Email Address @ljmu.ac.uk||
|Contact Address||Room 350a|
James Parsons Building
School of Natural Sciences and Psychology
Liverpool John Moores University
- 2007 PhD Plant Ecology, University of Southampton
- 2001 BSc Environmental Management, Durham University
- 2006 – 2010 Research Fellow University of Southampton
- Domestication and Development of Baobab and Tamarind
- Producing Added Value from Underutilised Crops
Underutilised Crops, Biogeography, Niche ecology, Species distribution modelling, intraspecific plant diversity.
My research has been focused on the mapping and modelling of tropical underutilised species variation in regards to adaptation to the environment. I am interested in potential genetic structuring within adaptive traits and identification of ecotypes for selection and conservation. I am interested in the affect of selection and human introduction on the niche of semi-domesticated species. I am also interested in use of information dissemination and technology transfer for international development. I have produced a number of training manuals, factsheets and newsletter aimed a wide range of stakeholders from farmers to scientists.
- Haq N., Bowe C., (2008). "A case for promotion of tropical underutilised fruits for improvement of livelihoods." New Crops and Uses: Their role in a rapidly changing world , 288-299
- Haq N., Bowe C., Dunsiger Z. E., (2007). "Challenges to Stimulating the Adoption and Impact of Indigenous Fruit Trees in Tropical Agriculture in Indigenous Fruit Trees in the Tropics pp50 - 69." Ed. Akinnifesi F.K., Leakey R.R.B, Ajayi O.C.,Sileshi G., Tchoundjeu Z., Matakala, P. and Kwesiga F.R. CAB International
- Bowe C., (2006). "Chapter 2 - Composition." In Azam Ali, Bonkoungou, Bowe, deKnock, Godara, Willaims, Ber and other Jujubes, ICUC 2006
Scheldeman X, van Zonneveld M, Bowe C and Salcedo J (2009). Training Manual: International Workshop on Statistical and Spatial Analysis of Diversity Data Manual. Towards a Better Understanding and Use of Underutilized Tree Genetic Resources: International Workshop on Statistical and Spatial Analysis of Diversity Data" 9th to 13th November 2009 in Bamako, Mali.
- Centre for Underutilised Crops (2010) Tamarinier : Tamarindus indica, Manuel Pratique pour Desmédiateurs et Paysans. University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.
- Centre for Underutilised Crops (2008) PAVUC Factsheets 1 – 9 Andean Blackberries (Rubus spp), Tree Tomato (Cyphomandra betacea), Narranjilla (Solanum quitoense), Red-pitahaya (Hylocereus purpusii), Berrycactus (Myrtillocactus schenkii), Cashew apples (Anacardium occidentale L.), Camu-camu (Myrciaria dubia), Açai (Euterpe oleracea), Peach palm (Bactris gasipaes).
- Bowe C (2004) Pharmaceutical Properties of Underutilised Fruit Trees (Ziziphus mauritiana and Emblica officinalis).