We work as one team
We work as one team means:
This value is not one that is intended to be interpreted literally – after all LJMU is a large dynamic organisation. ‘We work as one team’ is essentially a metaphor that encourages us to work together rather than in isolation from one another. For example, multiple parts of LJMU engaged on joint projects need genuinely to collaborate with each other rather than to fight their own corners. Similarly, where one part of the organisation develops ‘best practice’ this needs to be shared for the benefit of the University as a whole.
- Encouraging team work in all its forms.
- Sharing good practice across the University.
- Contributing to University-wide initiatives and projects.
- Awareness of the roles and impact of what other areas and sections of the University do.
Some behaviours that support this value:
- Seeing ourselves as much a part of the wider ‘LJMU’ as the immediate team we work within.
- Taking steps to support team work through cooperation, communication and goodwill in dealings with colleagues.
- Avoiding “silo” mentality and “it’s not my job” attitude.
- Striving to understand the goals and objectives of colleagues during interactions with them.
- Making contact with another area or function where they may be able to help or give input.
- Making time to work with colleagues from other parts of the University and not assuming our work is more important than others.
- Looking to share and learn good practice from other schools, faculties and departments.
- Supporting and engaging with team events/training.
- Involving others who may be impacted by key decisions or outcomes.
- Taking steps to provide helpful feedback and communication to colleagues.
- Providing coaching or other support to colleagues who need help.
- Supporting and encouraging social team events.
- Seeing LJMU as our University.
- Understanding that all of us working at LJMU help to create the reputation and people’s perception of LJMU.
Examples of LJMU value in action:
- Staff from all parts of LJMU working together at Graduation.
- Working jointly with colleagues from across the University at ‘Clearing’ or at ‘Open Days’.
- Vice Chancellor’s road shows – rolling programme of visits to teams throughout the University.
- Providing cover for colleagues when required.
- Team ‘Away Days’.
- Staff covering for a colleague who is absent due to
short term sickness.
- Collaborative Partnerships procedures and process maps.
- Partnership Forum.
- Collaboration between schools/faculties to bring new courses on line.
- Cooperation between L&SS and CIS to maintain student and staff facilities and services.
- Support staff helping reduce backlogs in other departments.
- Staff coming in at weekends to overcome problems impacting on others.
- Taking WOW forward events.
- Membership of Development Programme Project Teams.
- Team approach to all audits.