Mission, Purpose, and Core Values
“our mission is to serve and enrich our students, clients and communities by providing opportunities for advancement through education, training, research and the transfer of knowledge.”
The purpose of LJMU as perceived by its members and stakeholders can be summarised as follows:
- To create appropriate high quality opportunities that enable learning, advancement, development, and employment, and that are open to as many individuals and communities as is achievable and sustainable.
- To create and support opportunities for successful participation by under-represented groups, as well as for continuing personal, professional and skills development for all members of the University.
- To create an environment in which staff and students can engage in research that is innovative; that contributes to knowledge or to professional practice; that encourages personal and professional development; that enhances learning; or that is of social or economic importance to communities.
- To reinforce the entire range of activities with a culture of scholarship, and with a growing body of specific research that is consistently of national and international standing and benefit.
- To endeavour, through partnership and enterprise, to impact upon economic development and regeneration, as well as social and cultural advancement, whether at local, national or international levels.
Our core behavioural values
Full realisation of our mission can only be achieved by a collaborative approach on the part of everyone in the organisation. Individual attitudes and behaviour are key to the University's success. The values and conduct to which staff aspire, and wish to foster and sustain, can be summarised as follows:
- We put students and clients first.
- We are committed to excellence in everything we do.
- We respect and trust each other.
- We work as one team.
- We lead rather than follow; and defend independence of thought.
- We recognise and celebrate success.
- We take our work seriously, not ourselves.