10. Contracts for Building Works
All contracts for building works are to be let by the Director of Property Services.
Contracts for building works will be arranged by the Director of Property Services in accordance with planned activity and consultation with Faculty/Service Teams. The Director of Property Services shall maintain a Register of Contractors for building works and their associated services. The Register of Contractors shall be compiled from companies who apply to the University and shall be regularly amended. Companies which produce substandard work will be removed from the register. To be eligible for inclusion in the Register of Contractors companies must comply with industry regulations currently in force about the information to be supplied. Examples of some of these requirements include:
- Construction Industry Tax Exemption Certificate
- Health and Safety Policy
- Waste Disposal Licence
- List of qualified personnel
- Membership of recognised trade body.
Quotations will be obtained by the Director of Property Services from Companies on the Register of Contractors in accordance with the values approved in the University Financial Regulations as shown below
Values £ (Excl VAT)
Minimum Number of Estimates
1,000 - 4,999 At least ONE written quotation 5,000 - 24,999 Minimum of THREE written quotations 25,000 and over
Subject to competitive tender
For requests for exceptions, a Waiver Form must be completed and sent to Procurement Services BEFORE instructing any works to commence. In accordance with any EU regulations in force at the time, contracts will be advertised in the Official Journal of the EU where the value so requires. Where consultants are appointed to oversee projects they will be selected on the same basis as that applying to contractors with a select list of consultants being maintained by the Director of Property Services.
Where managed contracts for building works are let the managing agent will be selected following a competitive tendering exercise.
Managing contractors must satisfy the Director of Property Services that their own tendering process for awarding work to sub contractors is acceptable. Managing contractors must confirm in writing their agreement to allow the University auditors, both internal and external, a right to inspect all documents and records relating to any University building scheme. Contracts in excess of £250,000 will be signed under seal in accordance with arrangements determined by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Admin) & University Secretary.
- All invitations to tender shall contain identical information and state the date and time by which documents must be returned to Property Services.
- Tender documentation will be in a standard format and contain identical information.
- All tender envelopes must be passed unopened to the Director of Property Services or his nominee, who shall be responsible for supervising the opening and recording of tenders in conjunction with members of the Procurement Services Team.
- All tenders will be appraised against the same criteria and a short list of prospective suppliers determined.
- The decision to award a contract to a particular supplier will be made in consultation with the University users of the goods/services from the prospective suppliers who have been shortlisted. The decision will be based on the most economically advantageous tender received.
- Unsuccessful tenderers will be advised in writing, but will not be given details of other tenders.