Planning & Information is responsible for the university’s student related reporting across the institution generated from the one true source of such data, the student information system (currently OSS). This includes the production of timely, valid and accurate student related data for statutory returns by government agencies. Reporting can be split into several categories:-
• Data Quality and its monitoring
• Current Student Data/Numbers/Performance
• Historical Student Data/Numbers/Performance e.g. HESA, Trend data
• Future Targets e.g. Student Number Target Setting
Such reporting is delivered through different methods, the main tools are as follows:-
• Web Hub – This acts as a powerful user friendly reporting tool as well as the institutions Business Intelligence system giving an all in one solution.
• Oracle Discoverer – This software allows users to run predefined reports through the web based tool ‘Discoverer Viewer’ and select users to generate their own reports through the desktop tool ‘Discoverer User’
• Report Requests – Should neither of the aforementioned tools meet the requirements of a report users can request reports from PLN. Our staff will then advise on the best method, confirming the specification of the report before generating the report or directing the user to a suitable report already in place.
These 3 tools/methods allows PLN to provide a comprehensive reporting toolset.